Tuesday 12 March 2013

What a change

So into week 2 in London, Ontario. Time sure flies. And we've had quite a drastic change in weather. From the sub zero temperatures the previous week, the past few days hovered around 0 to 5 degrees with a sudden increase to 10 to 15 degrees over the weekend. The sun has shown itself quite a bit, melting the snow and ice on the pavements. This creates some puddles and turns the paths all mushy and a bit gross. I've had my encounter when I was running around the neighbourhood yesterday where my whole left shoe was stuck in the mud, my left foot literally flew out of it!

We collected the car early in the week. I'm slowly getting used to driving on the right side of the road, switching gears with my right hand (thank god it's an automatic!) and they have a funny rule here, where you're allowed to turn right although it's showing RED on the traffic lights, just as long as the road is clear.

2008 Toyota Yaris - hatchback so that I could fit my bike in easily. Car prices here are a bit more expensive than Australia, especially so when you add in the 13% HST 
My interview on Thursday went alright. Hope to hear some good news sometime this week. On Friday, Li-Ann and I had dinner at Maxwell McCoys again. It's her birthday this week and she had a free meal voucher to use. Plus, she was in the mood for some ribs. Look at them, they're larger than her head!

I had the surf and turf burger, which I was very happy with. Look at how much fries I got!
On Sunday we visited a maple syrup farm, which is a tourist must-do for the final weeks of winter. Crinklaw Maple Syrup, about 18kms from our place, is a family owned business. Do you know it takes 40 litres of sap from the maple tree to produce 1 litre of syrup? We wanted to join in the fun with kids on the horse pulled wagon ride but we were told that it was an hour's wait. Still, we enjoyed the pancake and sausages brunch, which made the trip worthwhile.

Old fashion way of collecting sap. They now use plastic tubing.
Old fashion way of boiling sap. They now use reverse osmosis machines.
That's all for week 2, more adventures coming up!

No comments: