Thursday 2 May 2013

Do you feel safe?

About 2 days ago, my parents' home in Subang Jaya, Malaysia was robbed. There wasn't anyone at home, so thankfully no one was hurt. Every room was ransacked. Some of the valuables that were taken were the flat screen TV, laptops, printer, costume jewellery and a handbag. I haven't spoken to my family. I haven't confirmed if my sister's bike or my disc wheel were taken, for those of you who would like to know.

When I received the whatsapp message on Tuesday morning (Tuesday evening Malaysia time), I was in shock. I did not know how to react. I felt helpless, being so far away. Not knowing how my parents and siblings were coping.

Material losses can be replaced. In fact, it also provided an opporunity to my family to clear lots of old stuff accummulated over the years, many that I am guilty of hoarding myself - sorry for not being there to help out! Physical scars (again, thankfully there were none!) will heal. But emotional and pscychological scars may be long lasting, sometimes even permanent.

My parents and siblings seem to be alright. I hope things would return to normal soon for them. We've always taken for granted that these things would not happen to us. I've always shrugged off the incidents of petty crimes in the news as isolated cases and stood by my stance that Malaysia will still be the place I'd like to return to eventually as it is after all... my home.

Now, I don't know what to believe. Would it change? Would Malaysia be a safer place? I sure do hope so. Will a change in a government guarantee that? I don't know. To put a stop to petty crime takes more than just a change in government. More than politics. To be honest, I'm one of those who find myself a bit annoyed with the political updates on Facebook, seem to be flooding my news feed - making it difficult to see the real news, like what's going on in the lives of those who are close to me. Being overseas for the past 10 or so years, shields me from the politicial ongoings of my home country.

Come this Sunday May 5, I would be one of those Malaysians who would NOT be exercising their right to vote. My lame excuse of finding the registration for postal vote to cumbersome and not taking the time to understand the process. The nearest Malaysian embassy will be in Ottawa, 8+ hours drive away. But I may be wrong. I need not even to drive there to exercise my right to vote.

Dear Malaysians. On this Sunday May 5, as I'm not exercising my right to vote. Please, on my behalf, do the right thing and vote wisely, not with your emotions.

Ini kali lah!

No comments: