Monday 27 May 2013

58.0

That's the number on the scales as I weighed myself after the swim today. If you are from this part of the world, that's 127.8 pounds.

It's the lightest I've been for a while. The inner aneroxic triathlete (let's face it, most triathletes have body image issues!) was pretty proud with that number. But at the same time, I wonder if I'm losing any strength or power. I don't use a power meter so I can't measure my watts, but I don't feel any weaker during my sessions, so I guess I'm alright. The low number could also be attributed to the sweat loss from the long run in the morning prior to the swim.

Anyway, I do notice I'm getting leaner since I've started this training program. It's quite normal actually when the body is still adapting to a new regime. With two weeks of over 17 hours of training logged each week, it's difficult to pile up the pounds. I think I went down to 57kgs when I first started on my first coached program under Bill two years ago.

I don't feel unusually tired - just normal tired from the long workouts, so I don't think I'm overtraining. I'm getting 7.5 to 8 hours sleep each night and I have plenty of free time to myself during the weekend to nap and rest once the big workouts are done.

My wife however, is pretty worried. She has been getting me to eat more. Baking more frequently than usual, so I can have lots of cake and breakfast bars to snack on in between meals. Not that I'm complaining.

Well, we'll see how it goes. When it comes to climbing the big hills in Ironman Whistler, it helps to maximize my power to weight ratio. So I hope this works well to my favour!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice that I am also losing some weight when I started taking more protein, fruits and vegetables but less carbohydrate. Now I take 2 half boiled eggs every morning with 2 or 3 slices of bread (instead of 4 before)for breakfast. For Lunch and dinner, I am cutting down on rice but have more vegetables and fruits. I am about 2 to 3 kgs lighter than before. - blacktoes.

Kevin Siah said...

Thanks dad! Hehe I'm not intentionally trying to lose weight. I think it just happens as a result of the new training.

2 to 3 kgs is a big result, well done!