Sunday 23 January 2011

First run for the year

After battling with the discomfort around the inside of my left foot and the uncertainty as to when I should start running, on Sunday morning I've finally decided give it go. This was my first run since Ironman Western Australia. Surprisingly I could barely feel the discomfort while running and I was trotting along quite nicely.

But after having not ran for 7 weeks, the lack of running fitness affected me significantly, and I slowed down considerably halfway through the first loop (I was meant to do two!) around my neighbourhood. Slightly disappointed, I stopped after the first loop but as I was walking back home, I thought that I should just jog another loop anyway.

So I did. It didn't feel as stressful as when I'm trying to make certain timing. Did 8.7km in total in just under 40 minutes, which I would normally have done in about 36 minutes. I ran with the new Asics GT 2150, for the first time as well, they didn't feel as responsive as I hoped them to be, but I guess I have yet to break into them properly yet.

So that was my first run training for the year. It didn't feel great but I'm looking forward to better sessions ahead. Just like my cycling when it started off pretty crappy but steadily progressed. And yesterday's 80km ride was a sign that I'm in the right direction, averaging at 29.7kph. Although the moderately calm weather did help.

On the domestic front but still triathlon related, I caught ONE HD's coverage of Ironman Western Australia 2010 and was delightfully suprised that I was captured not once, but twice! Each about 1.5 seconds and one of it crossing the finishing line with the Malaysia flag!

This afternoon, I spent A$80 on sporting gear at Harbour Town this evening. But none of my own. Got my lovely fiance a pair of Saucony running shoes and Skins compression tank top for my little sister, which were only A$30 in Jim Kidd. I was meant to get these items from Wiggle online as I have a GBP5 gift voucher to be used by middle of next week.

Hmm... does this mean something for myself then? A pair of Shimano 105 pedals perhaps?

No comments: