Sunday 3 January 2010

Make do

How was everyone's New Year long weekend?

We ushered in the new year with a pot luck dinner at Eric and Renee's place, with loads of food - pan mee, curry chicken, soy chicken, claypot chicken rice (hmmm, just realised we had A LOT of chicken). Yes, it was a Malaysian theme and for desserts, we had kueh talam, kueh lapis and Ribena cheesecake. We counted down to 2010 with the fireworks display... on TV... from Sydney Darling Harbour... 3 hours delayed telecast! (*hint* when's Perth getting back our own new year fireworks?) Having said that, it was a great night out. Thanks guys for hosting us!

New Year's morning, I intended to do a 160km ride, with a scheduled lunch break in between with Li-Ann. But I guessed my legs were feeling tired from the previous days' of partying and I decided not to continue my ride after lunch. Total distance cycled was 98.8km in 3:31:41 (average 28kph).

That night, we went to the movies for Sherlock Holmes. Pretty entertaining and funny. Clever too. The ending seemed like one of a Scooby Doo cartoon series. I don't know about you guys, but I think the villain, Lord Blackwood has an uncanny resemblance to comedian Russell Peters.

Saturday morning, I finally did a 30.5km run (7 x 4.35km) without calling it quits. Although I did walk for 400m on the final loop. Completed the run in 2:23:59.

Then in the evening, Li-Ann and I had dinner out for a change. Gianni's at Mount Hawthorn nearby. It was an interesting Balkan cuisine.

I ordered the Mostarski Odrezak, as it seemed to be the largest item on the menu. It did look huge at first instance, but I had no problems finishing it. I guess Ironman training has increased my appetite.

Sunday morning, I decided to do another bike ride to make up for my discounted ride on Friday. But after 30km, I suffered a puncture and decided to head back after fixing it, as I used my last spare tube and it was scorching 40 degrees. Covered a distance of 76.49km, in a slow 2:46:19 (average 27.5kph).

But we did make good use of the sun that day. We met up with Eric and Renee at Scarborough Beach for KFC and some wave hopping.

No comments: