Monday 22 September 2014

The final countdown

Less than 5 days away from the big race - Ironman Malaysia, Langkawi. It`s always a surreal feeling and hard to believe the past 5 or so months of training is coming to a close. For many of us, that anticipation started from the time the race was officially announced a year ago.

Come this Saturday, I would be toeing the start line for my 8th Ironman and 3rd time in Langkawi. I'm as prepared as I can be and looking forward to put the many months of blood, sweat and tears to the test. As I always say, the race is the reward for all the hard work and training.

Racing in my home country is always special. But this time round, the experience would be a whole lot more meaningful. When I started my small coaching service last year, I totally did not expect for it to grow to what it is now. Joining me on the race course would be 8 other amazing individuals - some taking on the challenge of their first Ironman race, others adding another Ironman finish to their collection. Whatever the reason, they have all done the hard work and gone through a major transformation, and I believe that each and everyone will reap the benefits come this Saturday.

The Ironman race is going to be a long day. Some claim it as the toughest single day endurance event. There would be ups and downs - both on the race course as it is pretty hilly, and in each athlete's moods and energy levels as well. It is important to focus on the current moment and task at hand... and bad patches will pass.

To all my coached athletes, thank you for including me in this significant milestone of your life journey. Wishing all of you the best of luck mechanical wise and weather wise. Regardless of the finish time, it does not define you. Soak up the race atmosphere and enjoy every moment of it... because no one else can do that for you! See you at the race, we'll be the life of the party!

1 comment:

Steve said...

Kevin, that bike course had to be brutal in the heat and humidity today. I followed your Ironman Malaysia training blog and short of training in Malaysia, I'm not sure how else you could have better prepared. No doubt you'll be back for Ironman Malaysia in 2015. Hang in there!