Monday 28 July 2014

Week 17 of 26

So the number of weeks left to Ironman Malaysia has now gone into the single digits.

I started the week with a swim session on Monday. Legs felt a bit tired but it was refreshing to be in the pool. Main sets were 2 x 400m swim, 2 x 500m pull buoy, 2 x 600m swim. Tuesday morning I did a weights and core session in the gym, it has been 4 weeks since I've gone to the gym and I was pretty sore after. In the evening, I did the usual 90km ride to Lakeside and back. It was hot and windy but still managed over 30kph average.

Wednesday was Splash N Dash in Lake Whittaker. I did a two loop warm up swim, had the leaky goggle issue again but wasn't too bad this time. I got dropped off the draft pack in the swim and came out about a minute behind. I worked really hard in the run but just couldn't reel in those in front. I got a PB though - 45:54 overall finish time, 25:19 for the 1.6km swim and 20:35 for the 5km run.

Thursday morning I slept in instead of doing the morning swim, which meant I gave up my full rest day on Friday. I ran in the afternoon in Springbank for 90 minutes, nice day and bumped into Mike running from the opposite direction. I had interval sets of 7 x 7 minutes fast/3 minutes easy so that made the run go by quicker.

I finally did my second swim pool set on Friday evening. Main sets were 5 x 200m swim, 5 x 200m pull buoy, 5 x 200m pull buoy/paddles. The lanes were a bit busy and I had to slow down on the some of the sets because of the traffic.

On Saturday I did my long ride of 165km. The weather forecast kept on changing and initially I was about to swap my ride to Sunday because of rain, so I wasn't prepared to ride that morning. Left the house 30 minutes later than usual as I needed to get the bike ready. Weather was mainly overcast and there was a brief period of drizzle but nothing too heavy. Legs felt much better than last week and I averaged just under 30kph for the ride. The 30 minute brick run wasn't too bad either, 6.6km in 4:31 per km pace.

Sunday's weather was hot and humid, and thunderstorms were forecasted later in the evening. I started my 2 hour at 4.30pm. I went pretty hard at first, probably too hard. Averaged under 4:30 per km for the first 75 minutes but had to slow down to about 4:45 per km after. Total distance covered was 26.2km with overall average pace of 4:34 per km.

So, somewhat lighter week this week with only one mid week ride and reduced duration for the long run. Next week will be a heavy one with the training camp in Niagara for the Civic Holiday long weekend.

Week 17 of 26 statistics:

Swim 10.4km (2 hours 56 minutes)
Bike 255.9km (8 hours 31 minutes)
Run 58.2km (4 hours 21 minutes)
Gym (0 hours 55 minutes)

Total 324.6km (16 hours 43 minutes)

No comments: