Monday 21 July 2014

Week 16 of 26

Pretty big week. Started of with 3.7km swim session on Monday afternoon. For some reason I didn't have good sleep the night before and felt groggy even up until the next evening. Main sets were 6 x 50m, 5 x 100m, 2 x 200m, 1 x 400m. And then, repeat with pull buoy.

Tuesday I did a 90km ride to Lakeside and back. The clouds were dark but it wasn't forecasted to rain. However, it showered for about 10 minutes about an hour into the ride. Left me shivering for a while but the sun came up soon after, drying me and my bike up, so I felt okay for the rest of the ride.

Wednesday was Splash N Dash at Lake Whittaker and most of the gang were back. So the competition was on! Did a 2 loop warm up swim. Stayed pretty close to the draft pack during the swim but my goggles kept leaking and I had to stop a few times to let the water out. Got out of transition ahead but Matt was breathing down my neck. He overtook me on the descend just after 1km into the run. Our gap remained relatively the same though. Overall time was 46:11 - my best time so far, 25:15 for the 1.6km swim and 20:56 for the 5km run.

Thursday I did the same ride as Tuesday. Only difference was there were sunny skies. Friday morning was a long swim session with 1000m swim (16:54), 2000m pull buoy (35:28), 800m pull buoy/paddles (13:01). In the evening I ran for 80 minutes in Springbank. My Garmin was almost empty, so I ran with it half way and turned it off and just used the clock to gauge the time back. Just a steady run with no intervals, a bit under 18km clocked.

Saturday it rained most of the day, so I swapped the long ride with Sunday's long run. I started the run at 5pm. I had 2 hours 30 minutes in the program. It continued to drizzle throughout, at some points a bit heavier but no downpour. My legs felt great since there was no long ride the day before and the rain kept me cool. Managed to clock 32.4km with an average pace of 4:37 per km.

So long ride on Sunday, 5 hours 30 minutes was in the program. I was a bit anxious as last week I felt empty and had to cut short my long ride. Plus, this week I had the fatigue and soreness of the long run the day before. Skies were overcast and the winds were pretty mild. My legs felt a bit sore but managed to keep the ride pretty consistent. 165km clocked with an average of 29.1kph. I then ran off the bike for 30 minutes, legs felt really heavy for the first couple of kms but got into rhythm after. This was after all, my first brick run after a 5+ hour ride this year. Managed to clock 6.2km with an average pace of 4:46 per km.

Glad I survived this week! Luckily, next week is somewhat lighter with only 1 mid week ride.

Week 15 of 26 statistics:

Swim 11.1km (3 hours 10 minutes)
Bike 346.6km (11 hours 33 minutes)
Run 61.6km (4 hours 41 minutes)

Total 419.3km (19 hours 24 minutes)

2 comments:

CheapRunnerMike said...

You're really racking up the miles now Kevin, very good week!

Kevin Siah said...

Thanks Mike! And well done on backing up in Bluewater tri a week after Musselman!