Monday 8 April 2013

Back to work

So I have been working for about a week already - 4 days since Easter Monday was a public holiday. As much as I enjoyed being a full time triathlete and able to train during the day, take naps, watch movies etc. for the past 8 weeks or so, it is nice to be getting back into the workforce and knowing that I'll be bringing in a paycheck at the end of each month.

For the past week, I was mainly an observer as to how my predecessor worked. We have a month of hand over before she goes on maternity leave. The work environment is fairly relaxed although there seem to be quite a lot going on - dealing with research grants, physician billings, secretaries salaries and many others. I'm one out of the two males in the department. Maybe that's why I got the job, to balance the gender inequality haha.

We are currently working in the basement floor of the University Hospital, which is located two blocks away from Li-Ann's office. So it's pretty convenient, we get to travel to and from work together. I have also signed up for membership at the uni gym. I get staff rates - for less than C$25 per month, I get access to the fitness centre, swimming pool and get to hire squash courts etc. A pretty good deal I reckon. My access is only early morning weekdays (6am to 9am) and anytime on the weekends. I could get full access for another C$12 but I figured I'm quite a morning person so I can do with those savings. All this would change though come mid August, when our staff will be moving to Victoria Hospital, about 15km further south but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The weather seems to be warming up, though I wouldn't hold my breath. It was 12 degrees as I did my run this morning at about 10am. Hopefully it will stay warm and we can finally cycle outdoors.

No comments: