Wednesday 25 April 2012

ANZAC Day

It's ANZAC Day today, whilst being a public holiday for most of us, it is also a day of remembrance to commemorate those who fought at Gallipoli during World War I.

It was also a great opportunity to put in some extra miles. Sandy, Steve and Adele from BYL and a few others from North Coast Tri Club met up in Sorrento for a ride up north via Marmion Avenue. I only had 2 hours of riding in my training plan but I was intending to just go with the flow, if the group decides to ride longer. Luckily, there were a few of us who also rode 2 hours, so I had some company. This is my first time riding this route and I quite enjoyed it. The roads were wide, mainly smooth and quiet - partly because of the public holiday.

Back to Sorrento beach, we did just under 2kms of swimming in our wetsuits. The guys made an observation that I was zig zagging really badly, thus losing a lot of time. I blame my foggy goggles, which I later found out that I unintentionally left it at the beach when I got home. Still, it was good to tick off a swim session on my program. Thanks guys for the great session!

It was also insightful to have a chat with a guy from North Coast Tri Club (sorry, I didn't catch your name!) who did the bike course at Cairns last year in a relay. I was advised not to go out too hard in the beginning as there are some challenging hills, but plenty of down slopes as well. But he said the course is absolutely gorgeous. Geoff Large, owner of XTR Multisports said the same yesterday when I paid the shop a visit. Yes, the idea of having the last Felt DA3 in Perth that is my size is very tempting... but I'll have to restrain myself.

After this easy week, I have 3 more big weeks and 2 weeks of taper. Time sure flies!

No comments: