Sunday 17 April 2011

Sluggish weekend

I pretty much struggled for most of my training sessions this week. It might have been due to the slow recovery from the blood donation on the previous Sunday.

The week started with the BYL Monday morning social ride. However, Bill and myself were the only ones who turned up. We took a slightly extended route, passing by quite a bit of the ocean on Cottesloe Beach. Since there were only two of us, we chatted quite a bit, about triathlon and life in general. We didn't stop for coffee, so I was able to get to work early for a change.

My sluggishness was evident in both Tuesday and Thursday swim sessions. I struggled to maintain an average of 45 seconds for each 50m, especially when we got to the longer sets. Wednesday's short run was probably the only session which I was able to give my best. I did 8.7km in 36:34 averaging 4:13 per km.

On the weekend, I swapped my bike and run days as the UCI World Cycling Tour had the time trial event in the city. Many roads were cloased. So I did my run on Saturday instead. I started with a good pace of around 4:17 per km, but somehow I just didn't have the energy to keep it up. Slowed down to a 4:30 to 4:32 per km pace. Finally finishing the 13km run just under 58 minutes, averaging 4:28 per km.

On Sunday morning, it turned out that I wasn't the only one who decided to ride that day. The roads were packed with cyclists and many triathletes who I assumed would be preparing for Busselton 70.3 in 3 weeks away. Towards the later stages of my ride, they were seen doing their brick runs. The winds were pretty calm and there were clouds. But it felt pretty humid and I'm wondering if there is a corelation between humidity and air resistance, as it sure felt tougher riding through the air despite low winds. I averaged the 80km ride in 29.6kph, pretty satisfied but expected a bit more in the calm conditions.

Looking forward to feeling stronger in the coming week.

No comments: