Saturday 29 September 2012

You've got a friend in me...

In a few days, my good friend, Eric, will be leaving Perth for good, heading back to Malaysia to start a new chapter in his life. Eric was like a brother to me, and it's not just because we have the same surname by coincidence. It was Eric who introduced me to the small circle of friends we have in Perth through the UWA International Student Service. In fact, if it wasn't for Eric, I wouldn't have met my wife, Li-Ann.

Eric was always there to lend a helping hand since my days as an opportunistic uni student, being seen at almost every workshop or seminar, just to grab some free food... up until the days of my wedding, when he was a dedicated heng dai going through the obstacles given out by the ji muis. I've also tried to convert Eric to be a triathlete, an attempt which I did not succeed very much, but he did do a sprint triathlon and later, a half marathon, which he very much enjoyed... I think.

Springfeast at UWA Multicultural Week in 2006 - Eric 4th from right
Celebrating mid autumn festival - we lit the lanterns indoors as it was too windy outside
Chinese New Year open house at Eric's
Power Station tri - the poor guy got stung by a jelly fish on his first tri, which left a big scar                     (physically and I think, emotionally too haha)
Japanese dinner at Shun - Eric's glasses were blank. He wore them to look more intelligent haha
The beer mile challenge at my buck's - it was an epic day!
Eric helping me negotiate ang pow with the ji muis. He said I was too honest
Eric, we in Perth, will miss you very much. We wish you the very best in your future ventures! Take care, good friend.

No comments: