Sunday 20 February 2011

Being soft

Li-Ann is away in Melbourne for the weekend. I thought this would be a good opportunity to up my mileage without feeling too guilty of spending less time together.

Saturday morning, I did a 100km ride. The winds were somewhat moderate, but were still pretty challenging in some areas. The sun was out too, with temperatures around low to mid 30s. I clocked an average of 29.1kph for the ride. Planned to do a 6km brick run, but instead, settled for 3 loops of the park reserve at the Mounts Bay road Narrows Bridge intersection. I took approximately 5 minutes per loop, which I assumed was 1km each.

Sunday morning, the plan was to do 5 loops of 4.35km around my neighbourhood, totaling 21.7km. I have done three 13km runs since the start of the year, all of which I was able to hold a comfortable pace of 4:30 per km. I started the first and second loop quite well, 19:39 and 19:32 respectively. It was pretty windy but there was an overcast, which protected me from the sun and kept me cool.

But in the middle of the third loop, fatigue started to set in. My form was getting sloppy and I felt hungry, as I did not have anything to eat prior to the run. Slogged to finish the third loop in 20:20 and decided to call it quits. Completed the 13km run in 59:31 (average 4:35 per km).

Another 13km run instead of bringing it up to 21km. Slightly disappointed but better to err on the side of caution. Running with poor form could risk an injury, and being four weeks away from Ironman 70.3 Singapore, that's the last thing I need right now. Still, pretty satisfied with this week's running mileage of 29km, just shy of 30!

No comments: