Wednesday 3 February 2010

Another hole in the pocket

Having already spent quite a lot on my new tri bike about 6 months ago, I told myself that's it. I won't be spending anymore. It was a complete package. Carbon frame, integrated aero bars, SRAM Red groupset, medium profile wheels.

And then 6 months later, the itch came again. So here are the new additions to my bike Faith, which would see some action at Ironman Langkawi in 3.5 weeks time. I told myself, eventually I would be getting new wheels anyway. So might as well get them for this race.

Detec 80mm carbon clincer wheelsets... got them from Casie Chin of Pink Bike Trading in Penang. Casie quoted me a price including delivery which I cannot refuse.

Am I naive to try an unknown brand from Taiwan? One thing for sure, being less than half the price of Zipps, my wallet will thank me for that. The wheels are probably travelling interstate now from Penang to my home in Subang Jaya. Can't wait until I come home to test them out.

There has been a lot of discussion about how deep rim wheels would only benefit those who can maintain above an average speed of 40kph. I definitely do not fall in that category. Hopefully, with these wheels, I would... eventually reach that stage. If not, I think they are pretty looking wheels. At least they satisfy the superficial side of me :P

6 comments:

ian yusof said...

it's worth it .... especially those who are attempting the Ironman :)

Good luck!

Kevin Siah said...

Thanks Ian, yes really aiming to improve on last year's time.

yipwt said...

80mm...I think same as Keat Seong's.

I would suggest that you ride on them as much as possible before IM just to get used to it.

You just need the legs to push those. once you got it...then it's smooth sailing.

Kevin Siah said...

Yup, I have about two rides to try them out. Hopefully doesn't take too long to get used to them.

How are you, Yip? Everything sorted?

abupower said...

Wow....Meletop!!! Sure you boleh buat sub 5:30 bike

Kevin Siah said...

Hahha Abu, I aiming sub 6 aje. I takde kaki cycling yang power, so kena guna wheels macam ni. You kaki cycling power, tak payah lah.