Monday 1 December 2008

No longer KPMG...

...at least for another year.

Ironically two weeks ago, I made a post on how much I LOVE KPMG. But last Tuesday, my partner in-charge told me about a one year a secondment opportunity as a Finance Manager at St Bartholomew's House, a non-for-profit organization, with aged care/mental health/homeless support services. I've been wanting a commercial experience for quite a while now, so I couldn't resist. And that job started today!

My first day at St Bart's was a bit of an information overload, with induction and all. But the people seemed nice and it is very different from working at KPMG. Smaller team now and more operationally inclined. The current Finance Manager was kind enough to show me around, introducing me to the staff and briefing me on my roles and responsibilities (hence, the information overload!). My roles include monthly management reporting to the board, yearly budgeting, handling auditors (being on the other side now), grant acquittals for various programs and many more.

Nervous? Yes, I am. But also looking forward to the challenge!

I'm very lucky that the CEO had no problems with my pre-booked holiday plans for Christmas as well as for the Langkawi Ironman.

...which reminds me, it's less than 90 days to go! And the past weekend's training of 20km run and 115km bike (I initially planned to do 120km, but was so fatigued in the last few kms) have gotten me really knacked! Hope for a better form next week.

6 comments:

sofiantriathlete said...

all the best

Kevin Siah said...

Gee, you were quick! I just posted that! Thanks, Sofian!

And enjoy yourself in Busselton!

Abu Soffian said...

Dato' good luck for future

Kevin Siah said...

Heheh Dato' makes me sound so old. Thank you, thank you!

Jasmine Yim said...

Hey Congrats KEv!!! Proud of you...

Next coffee meet-up, u treat! MUAHAHAHA...

Kevin Siah said...

No problem! And it will be on my credit card expenses, which is part of my salary packaging ;)