Sunday 14 September 2008

A trip to the podiatrist

Yes, I've FINALLY visited a podiatrist yesterday. With my PANCAKE flat feet, one can only wonder what sort of severe damage all my running (or even walking) have done to my ankles, shins, knees, hips, posture etc. without any orthotics or shoe insoles.

My appointment was with Vivian Oldfield at Peak Podiatry. The guy (yes, he ACTUALLY IS a guy!) is very knowledgeable... I was lucky that he deals a lot with a triathletes (perhaps a triathlete himself? I should have asked)...

He did a video assessment of my gait. I was placed on a treadmill, running at 9kph for just over 2 minutes, with a video camera each on my front, back and side.

He was pretty amazed that although with my flat feet, I don't pronate that much and I actually land almost perfectly straight. However, the lower half of my legs swing inwardly, causing a bit of a strain on my gluts and hips. He reckons is because my gluts lack strength (haiya, need to pad up my butt more!)... could be due to training too much in aero position during my bike rides. As the aero position is meant to conserve energy for the run, so if I keep on training in that position, those muscles are not worked as much. MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! How do you like that? A podiatrist who gives you triathlon training tips...

I wished I could get a copy of the video assessment, but he was pretty reluctant. Maybe due to copyright issues.

I was told to change a pair of shoes every 600 to 800kms (with my weekly average running of 30km, that's only about 25 weeks!) I'm so glad he didn't prescribe me any heavyweight motion control shoes. Just as long as they have dual density. Good thing the Saucony shoes I'm looking for have those.

I got my feet taped again, to give them an artificial arch for me to try out. The results were AWESOME! I was pretty tired during my run yesterday evening, so I slowed down my pace quite significantly... but was still able to clock some good times! So this is how people with NORMAL arches feel like... I'll definitely consider getting custom made orthotics... something worth investing in!

6 comments:

Jasmine Yim said...

HUh? I didn't know flat feet people needs to see a podiatrist?

Oh dearrrrr............

Kevin Siah said...

Nah, not all flat feet people have to see podiatrist. It's because I do lots of running, might be detrimental to my joints, as flat feet don't absorb impact as well.

Jasmine Yim said...

now that explains the twisted ankles most of the time..

=(

Kevin Siah said...

You flat feet as well? Sometimes not only the flat feet, but the way your feet lands. Some people walk with the feet pointing inwards, some outwards.

I supposed if it doesn't affect your daily life, then don't have to see podiatrist lah.

bola2api said...

long live the pancake foot-ers! hey, we should join a flat-footed club or something.. hopefully the doc can sort out my legs tomorrow..

thanks for the tips on 'what to ask the doc' for my appointment tomorrow..

Kevin Siah said...

No problem! The podiatrist taught me to relace my shoes too. Said currently they're too loose, causing too much movement around the ankles.

Enjoy your raya hols! (Envious)