Monday 8 July 2013

Week 11

So it has been a week since the Niagara Camp. I had a lighter training load this week. But it doesn't mean that it was much easier. I felt good at Wednesday's Splash N Dash - 1.6km swim and 5.2km run in 48:19, my fastest time so far. Not a huge improvement but I had been pretty consistent and the speedwork doesn't hurt as much now. Thursday was the usual 3 hour ride to Lakeside and back, which I surprised myself with another great pace of 33kph.

Friday morning I did a 3.6km swim in the morning - a bit of a pyramid set from 200m to 800m back to 200m. In the afternoon I ran for 1 hour 15 minutes in some pretty humid conditions. I could squeeze the a huge puddle of sweat out from my singlet after the run. On Saturday I only had a 3 hour ride in the program and I did it with Peter, Greg and Clare. We left from Lambeth. Greg and Clare rode there as they had a 6 hour ride to do. We rode to the Fingal area and came back with a decent pace, clocking just over 100kms in under 3 hours 15 minutes.

Sunday I had another ride of 2 hours 15 minutes. It was a bit foggy and the air was quite dense and moist. I tried on the Giro Selector aero helmet. It did feel a bit warmer than my road helmet but I was sweating in my upper body too, not just my head. I also tried on a 2 piece Champion System tri suit I bought at clearance price at the Guelph Lake race few weeks ago. Wasn't as comfortable as I hoped and I got some chaffing by the end of the ride. Hence, I decided to use it only for training. There was a bit of headwind coming back, so my pace slowed down but only a bit slower than Thursday's ride. Off the bike for a 1 hour 15 minute run. My legs only felt good for the first 30 minutes. After that it was a slow jog to the finish. I did almost 1km less than what I would normally run in that time.

I'm racing the Musselman Half Iron triathlon in Geneva, New York this coming weekend. It's about 4 hours drive from where we are and we'll be crossing the US border for the race. I'm pretty excited and hope to do a PB. It'll be a good lead up race to Ironman Whistler, which is only 6 weeks after this one. How time flies!

2 comments:

Enrico Varella said...

Have a very good race in NY, Kevin. You should do very well based on your recent training. Of course, all the best in IM Canada/Whistler. Thanks for your support, too.

Kevin Siah said...

Thanks for your wishes Enrico! We're leaving on Saturday morning, looking forward to it!