Wednesday 21 March 2012

Fallen

It has been just over a week since the announcement of Challenge Cairns to be replaced by Ironman Cairns. This was as a result of a fallout in agreement between several parties involved, after World Triathlon Corporation - owner of the Ironman trademark and rival company of Challenge, bought over USM Events, the event organizer various multi sport events in Australia including Challenge Cairns.

The official press releases can be read here and here. If you are after the more juicy details of the fallout, Slowtwitch released a few articles and interviews here and here. As a participant affected by this change, I am somewhat disappointed as I was looking forward to the family oriented atmosphere of a Challenge series event. However, as the event organizer stilll remains the same, I'm sure a good show will put on as with most Ironman events.

Picture taken from Slowtwitch.com

There had been a couple of disturbing news from the road lately. A cyclist in Malaysia was died in a hit-and-run accident on Sunday. My heart goes out to his family and friends. May him rest in peace. Fellow Perth triathlete, John Cooke, had a massive fall over the weekend. He required stitches and an overnight stay in the hospital. Not the most ideal situation given that Busselton 70.3 is less than 7 weeks away. We wish him the very best and a speedy recovery.

I guess each time we hit the roads for a ride, there are always risks involved, which we are willing to take. I've had my fair share of falls, but I'm grateful that none of them were serious and I'm able to come home in one piece, to my lovely wife. Ride safe, everyone.

No comments: