Sunday 13 November 2011

Long week



It's been less than a week since Li-Ann has arrived in Washington DC. She will be spending about another two weeks in the States, including a trip to New York. I have to say, that the time difference has made it a bit difficult for us to communicate. At the moment, we are updating each other through Facebook messages, and quite often there is a lag before one of us would receive the message and reply.

My days have become longer as I now have too cook my own dinner. Of course, Li-Ann does much more than feed me, but it's one of the things I take for granted while she's around. I'm so used to coming home from work, have a shower and dinner is all prepared for me. I guess I'm really lucky that way. So the past few meals have been sausages and pasta if I could be bothered to cook. On other occasions, I have succumbed to take-away.

This week is also my last long week of training. I did a 6 hour ride on Saturday, Sam and Dennis kept me company for 5 hours on the Freeway, and then I headed back out and did a loop around the Shelley reserve. The weather was favourable, southerly winds made it easier on our way back and the headwinds were pretty gentle earlier in the morning when we were heading out. I clocked 183.9km, average pace of 30.6kph, that's a training PB for me.

On Sunday, the plan was to do a 2.5 hour run. You guessed it, it didn't go according to plan! I started off well, running consistently at 4:38 pace for up to about 1 hour 20 minutes, when suddenly I felt weak and slowed down to a jog. To make matters worse, about 10 minutes after that, I had some pretty severe stitches that even jogging was a big struggle, so I decided to stop. I did 19.7km in 1 hour 32 minutes.

But I was keen to make up the hours in the afternoon. After taking a few naps during the day, I felt refreshed and was able to run at a quicker pace. I did 13km in 56:31, an average pace of 4:21. This brings total running mileage this week to just under 57km. I'm looking forward to when it drops to 40s next week! Only 3 weeks out from Ironman WA, train safe and rest well everyone!

No comments: