Sunday 16 August 2009

Not quite right

I supposed the title says it all...

It's been a while since darling and I went out for a date, so on Saturday night I brought her out for a dinner at restaurant, which I picked.

Red Cabbage at South Perth... been wanting to try that place out for a while now. It had nice ambience, pretty food. Quite tasty too. The problem was, the portions were just TOO SMALL!

It took us less than 30 minutes to finish our meal. Slightly dissatisfied, we went to King Street Cafe in the City for some olive bread, hot chocolate and their famous MONSTER BANANA CAKE.

I was a much happier person after that...

Sunday morning, after days and days of rain, it started to clear a bit. And I was eager to take my new bike, Fifi, out for a spin. Especially so, when I bought a pre-loved Bell Meteor II Time Trial Helmet off a guy from the Triwa forum. I got it off him for A$80, what a bargain!

My first few moments on the bike, it did feel really fast! I didn't require a lot of effort to get it moving. Even climbing the hills was a joy, as it did feel a lot lighter.

Although, my arms felt a bit uncomfortable after a while, and it might be the shifters were a bit too close to the aerobar. Need to extend them out a bit.

After cycling for just over an hour, suddenly I felt that I could not pedal anymore. Not because I had no more energy, but somehow the rear wheel was rubbing against the break pads. I hope it wasn't like that for the whole ride!

I stopped and it took me about 30 minutes to re-adjust the rear wheel. It was fine after that... but only for a couple of minutes, and the rear brake pad was clenched tight again. It was then when I decided to call it quits.

I was smart enough to leave my mobile phone to be charged at home. Good thing a kind samaritan who was driving past, lent me her phone to call Li-Ann for help. And as if I wasn't tested enough that day, it started raining as I was waiting for Li-Ann. Luckily another kind samaritan invited me to take shelter under her garage. These Australians can be REALLY helpful.

So... I have yet to fully realise the returns from my investment in my newly acquired gear. Hopefully next week will be better.

I'll end this post with a video taken from Singapore top long distance triathlete and two time Sundown Ultramarathon winner, Jeanette Wang's blog. I find this video pretty funny... and somewhat related to my situation.

No comments: